Sweet and Sour Ginger Pickle is sure to tantalize your taste buds. Perhaps your mother made them too as I’m sure this recipe is ages old and is a mainstay item of any ONAM Sadhya menu. I love spicy and tangy pickles, but recently I started appreciating and making more of pickles with a sweet balance into it.
This quick and easy, recipe is made using fresh Ginger, Tamarind and Brown Sugar. Puli is Tamarind and Inji is Ginger in Malayalam. Malayalam is the official language for the people of Southern Indian state of Kerala. This is a preparation where Ginger is the main ingredient and is cooked with Tamarind paste and Jaggery. Puliinji also know as Injipuli curry is my favourite, the name itself brings water to my mouth. My room-mate when I lived in Dubai, used to make mouth-watering InjiPuli, and I am trying to pass you his recipe.
Puli (Tamarind) is considered an aphrodisiac as well as a laxative, which induces bowl movement and used for treatment of constipation. Ginger also do have the same goodness, thus as a combination is really good to have during such elaborate sadhyas.
Things you will need
- Ginger – 400 grams
- Dried Red Chillies – 4 nosRed chilly Powder – 1 tbsp
- Tamarind Paste – 100 grams (or to taste)
- Jaggery* – 75 grams (or to taste)
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 50 ml
- Salt – to taste
Yield – 400 grams
Golden Touch Mise en Place [20 mins]
- Peel and chop Ginger very finely
- Soak Tamarind in 100 ml bot water for 20 minutes. Rub in you palm and discard the seeds and skin.
- Boil Jaggery (Brown Sugar) in 50 ml Water, to this mix the Tamarind juice and allow to boil once. Strain through a fine sieve. Keep aside till needed.
- Break Dried Red Chillies into small pieces
Golden Touch Steps [35 mins]
- Heat 45 ml Oil in a pan and add the chopped** Ginger and sauté till golden brown, about 20 minutes on medium flame.
- Add the Red Chilly powder and stir well. Allow to cool
- Grind the Ginger to a thick paste without Water (if needed add the Tamarind and Jaggery syrup).
- To 5ml hot Oil in a non-stick pan add Mustard seeds allow to pop. Add broken dried Red Chillies and Curry Leaves.
- Add to the above Ginger paste and Tamarind and Jaggery syrup, cook till it thickens.